Babushka Adoption was founded in 1999 with financial support of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation. In 2000 the foundation was registered at the Ministry of Justice of the Kyrgyz Republic.
The foundation supports babushkas (grandmothers) and dedushkas (grandfathers), living in the Batken district (SW-Kyrgyzstan), in the capital Bishkek and in the village Belovodskoye (near Bishkek), who are not able to take care of themselves.
Babushka Adoption offers social, moral and financial support, encourages mobilization of the elderly and tries to awake the population and the local and national Kyrgyz' authorities to the problems, with which the elderly are confronted. To improve the living conditions Babushka Adoption realizes enduring livelihood. It stimulates the elderly through so-called self-help-groups to develop social and income-giving activities. Starting point of all activities is that each person deserves care, respect and dignity. Therefore Babushka Adoption offers:
- a high standard of services,
- a careful approach with the implementation of the activities,
- the elderly chances to participate actively, so that they themselves are able to improve their life,
- transparent budgets and accounts of all activities
and departs from the following principles:
- honesty to clients, sponsors, partners, within the rules of the law,
- solidarity on the basis of mutual agreement
- cooperation and open dialogues to improve the interest of the target group,
- offering the employees possibilities to develop themselves, personally as well as professionally.